Saturday, June 16, 2012

TastemakerX: A source for new good songs?

There's a gray area I never realized existed between iTunes, the stock market, social media and gaming, and it's called TastemakerX. This is an app where you establish your tastes by purchasing shares of artists and watching them rise or fall. You can find and follow other users with similar tastes and supposedly discover music this way. There is also a scoring system that rewards those who are influential and good at selecting up-and-coming artists. I joined yesterday at the suggestion of a co-worker and have had fun building my portfolio, although I'm still not completely sure of the point. I believe that it just went live a few days ago.

Time will tell whether this proves to be a fruitful source of new good songs. One apparent problem is that the site is artist-centric, and as I've noted before, I am interested solely in discovering new songs, not new artists per se. When you go to an artist's page, you can click on a sample of one song that I assume was chosen by the site's editors. There is then a link to iTunes where you can hear more by the artist.

Here's an article about it on TechCrunch.


No comments: