Sunday, June 10, 2012

New Good Song: Warrior by Kimbra f/ Mark Foster & A-Trak



This is currently my favorite new good song -- "Warrior" by Kimbra featuring Mark Foster & A-Trak

How I found this song -- Wikipedia. Believe it or not, Wikipedia can be an awesome source to learn about new good songs. Having adored "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye f/ Kimbra, I went to each artist's discography to figure out what else they had released. This is how I discovered another of my favorite new good songs, "Easy Way Out" by Gotye, which has an incredible video, BTW. Kimbra's discography reveals that "Warrior" is a 2012 song; I looked it up on YouTube, and loved it.

What makes this song good? It's very '80s but also very today, and although I don't like '80s music particularly, that combination can be fantastic because it can yield songs that are punchy, emotional and fun, like this one. This has an incredibly catchy chorus, in-your-face instrumentals and production, and cute vocals by Kimbra. The video also isn't bad; it underlines the kind of "Pushin' me down" energy of the song. Kimbra reminds me of a cross between Katy Perry, Cathy Dennis and Cyndi Lauper.

Is Wikipedia a good source for good new songs? Wikipedia -- particularly the discography pages -- is a really nice way to find out whether a song is new, and to see if your favorite artists are releasing any new material. But this is a second or supporting step in the hunt for new good songs; it's not a first step or a destination. When I'm hunting through iTunes, YouTube or wherever, I usually have Wikipedia open on the side so I can figure out whether something is new, or to use to satisfy whatever stream-of-consciousness thoughts I may have. For example, because Kimbra reminds me of Katy Perry, I may think to look up Perry's discography and discover that her latest single is "Wide Awake," which I then can look up on YouTube. And as it turns out, "Wide Awake" is among the summer's best new good songs, which would not necessarily be obvious given that "Part Of Me," her previous release, isn't good at all.

No comments: