Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Good Song: Triumphant by Mariah Carey featuring Rick Ross and Meek Mill



Here's a new good song -- "Triumphant" by Mariah Carey f/ Rick Ross and Meek Mill

OK. I have made no secret of the fact that, while I am a song-specific fan and thus not artist-loyal, I am interested in Mariah Carey and her output because I have observed 22 years of high quality. She has written, sung, produced and released good song after good song. Sure, there have been a couple clunkers, but the good has outweighed the bad.

So I was eager in anticipation upon learning -- through Facebook -- that her new single was released to radio last Thursday, and to iTunes yesterday. I sought it out as soon as it became available Thursday and was a bit disappointed, because the song so heavily features the "guest" rappers, and rap does a good song not tend to make. But upon repeated listens, I have grown to like it more, and although this is surely not her best output, it is good relative to what else is out there.

She has released a "Vintage Throwback Remix," not yet available on iTunes, that contains no rap and instead includes verses by Carey. This should mean a greater level of goodness, although the production (and specifically the pace of the production) are weaker than the original. So it's not a winning tradeoff.

I am looking forward to seeing the subsequent output from Carey's latest album.

No comments: