Monday, August 13, 2012

New Good Song: Home by Phillip Phillips



Here's a new good song -- "Home" by Phillip Phillips

This is not a special discovery by any means, as this song is quite popular and by an "American Idol" winner, but I did want to acknowledge that after several weeks of resistance and skepticism, I do think this is a good song. It would be better coming from a different source, and by that I mean nothing against Mr. Phillips himself as a musician or vocalist. I have never watched "American Idol," but I wouldn't be so snobby as to presume that he is anything less than very talented. But I the output that comes out of the series' "coronation songs" has tended to be a bit corny and overblown.

So this song comes as something of a surprise. If it had been by an unknown artist, and I had discovered it instead of having it pushed to me, I think I would have been quicker to like it. But I'm not an elitist person when it comes to music, by any means. Lots of popular songs are good. And in the case of "Home," the fact it is popular is a bit of a head-scratcher to me, as it doesn't fit the 2012 Top 40 mold at all.

Enjoy!

No comments: