Saturday, October 17, 2015

New Good Song: "Ocean," Lauren Aquilina 10.17.15

Here's a new good song: "Ocean" by Lauren Aquilina. Lauren is a young English composer, singer and pianist who specializes in melancholy ballads. She has released an EP each year since 2012, each with a one-word title -- "Fools," "Sinners," "Liars" and, now, "Ocean." Also, each has a water theme in the cover art, a choice that for a while I assumed had something to do with her last name, which I guessed incorrectly was some derivation of "aqua," but actually means "little eagle." Point being there is a steady sameness to her output in mood, theme and marketing.

On the weekly chart I keep for myself as a log of my song preferences, she's had three appearances: "Sinners," which came in at No. 46 for the year in 2013; "Irrelevant," which was No. 70 for the year in 2014, and "Broke," No. 78 for the year in 2014. Her new song, "Ocean," keeps pace with those previous releases, although it builds to a louder, more percussion-heavy climax than her other songs. Lauren is obviously very talented, so I'm hoping and expecting she'll achieve more mainstream success in the future. Enjoy!

No comments: