Sunday, June 4, 2017

New Good Song: "Despacito," Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee f/ Justin Bieber 6.4.17

Here's a new good song: "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee f/ Justin Bieber. (The video below accompanies the original version of the song and doesn't feature Justin Bieber). I realize this isn't new; it's actually No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and has been for a few weeks. But I wanted to acknowledge it anyway. My soulmate in Love of '90s Music, LuisMa, publishes a countdown video of his 100 favorite songs every week, and this track (the original) has been on there for about four months and is currently sitting at No. 1. When I first heard it, pre-Justin, I sort of dismissed it as sounding too similar to other Spanish-language tracks and moved on. But I noticed that each week, when I'd watch LuisMa's countdown video, I kind of dug this song more than I thought I should. Eventually I started listening to the whole track, and looking up the translated lyrics, and thought, "You know, I actually like this song," even though I don't speak Spanish. Two milliseconds later, they released the Justin Bieber remix, and now it's a smash in the U.S. So clearly there's something special about this track. Also, Luis Fonsi's arms are fun to look at in the video. Enjoy!

No comments: