Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Good Song: "I Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix)," Mike Posner 1.10.16

Here's a new good song: "I Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix)" by Mike Posner. As a reminder, Posner is responsible for a string of commercially successful singles in 2010-11 -- "Cooler Than Me," "Please Don't Go" and "Bow Chicka Wow Wow," all of which were great songs. I remember reading back then that Mike went to my alma mater, Duke, and graduated with a 3.6 GPA while his music career was getting off the ground. So he's no dummy. And I suspected his music, which is straightforward, belied some real depth. Since that debut, he's put out a few flops. Now he's back with an EP called "The Truth," which, as the name implies, is confessional. It's also stripped down, raw and acoustic. It's pretty nice, and a surprising departure, although I don't expect it to revive his career because he doesn't quite have the legacy behind him to generate widespread interest in his introspection, i.e., I'm not sure the average listener is particularly curious about "the truth" about someone they did not know much about in the first place. But for those who discover this EP, they'll lean in to hear what Posner is sharing. The clip below is the first song on that EP, with a poppier remix that I slightly prefer to the original, even though I certainly appreciate acoustic music. It's full of self-reflective observations that humanize Posner and set him up for what may be a longer, fruitful career, even if this particular release doesn't garner much radio play. Enjoy!

No comments: