Saturday, November 14, 2015

New Good Song: "Focus," Ariana Grande 11.14.15

Here's a new good song: "Focus" by Ariana Grande. This, to me, would be a throwaway if it weren't for the deliciously synthy bridge (0:30 to 0:49, and repeated twice more). Word on the street is that Jamie Foxx provided the vocal in the chorus, although he's not credited on the track. I like Ariana. I didn't care for 2013's "The Way" (f/ Mac Miller), which shamelessly ripped off and did not improve upon 1998's "Still Not A Player" by Big Pun f/ Joe, which shamelessly ripped off but did improve upon 1979's "A Little Bit Of Love" by Brenda Russell. But I did like Ariana's singles "Problem" (f/ Iggy Azalea) and "Break Free" (f/ Zedd), which landed at Nos. 81 and 95 respectively on my list of the best new good songs of 2014, and "Love Me Harder" (f/ The Weeknd), which will end up in a nice spot on the 2015 list, even though, as I mentioned in my original post about the song, I could do without The Weekend's whining. As an aside, congratulations to The Weeknd on his breakout success this year, even though I haven't yet particularly cared for any of his songs. Hope all the drug references are just part of the act, because he's too talented to die young. Anyway, enjoy "Focus"!

No comments: