Tuesday, September 1, 2015

New Good Song: "Downtown," Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee & Grandmaster Caz 9.1.15

Here's a new good song: "Downtown" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee & Grandmaster Caz. I featured "Thrift Shop" on this blog on Sept. 7, 2012, and it was my 64th best new good song of 2012. At the time, I thought it was a novel song, and I described it thusly: "It's delivered with a nice light touch, over a pretty catchy and whimsical instrumental track, and the whole thing works together with a nice hooky chorus, delivered with humor." It, of course, went on to be a huge hit, which was a total surprise to me. In February 2013, it went to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and it ended up being that magazine's No. 1 song of 2013.

Now that Macklemore is famous, we can look forward to getting tired of "Downtown" after it blows up and becomes inescapable. For now, enjoy.

No comments: